Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Woodland Ramp and Potato Soup


Happy Earth Day everyone!

Nothing tastes better than a good batch of wild leeks (ramps)
and potato soup on this cold and sunny Earth Day.



The farmer dug a small batch from a neighbouring woodland
for this earthy soup ...

3 slices uncooked bacon - diced
2 slices cooked ham - chopped
1 Tbsp. butter
1 small onion - chopped
10-12 ramps, peeled cleaned and chopped (heads only)
6 potatoes - peeled and diced
4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 Cup milk
1/4 Cup sour cream
a few ramp leaves chopped - for garnish

In Dutch Oven, fry the chopped bacon until crisp, remove, set aside and pour off the fat.
Add butter, onions and ramps - saute for a few minutes
Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
Stir in the chopped potatoes and simmer till fork tender
Mash or puree the potatoes and broth.
Return the bacon and add ham to the soup, reserving some for garnish. Heat through.
Add the milk and sour cream and serve.
Garnish with chopped ramp leaves and crumbles of bacon




The soup was tasty - however, now the house has that
lingering "old people's" pungent garlicky smell.
Oh well, no one is coming over for a visit any time soon
and besides - we are the old people - smile!

The sourdough bread turned out really good today.

It may have upstaged the soup!

In spite of not having any of the "required" equipment,
such as the proofing bannetons (baskets) etc.,
I think I'm finally getting onto it?
So glad I didn't give up on this fermented goodness.

It tasted delicious with the soup.

Hosta Leaf design?




I think sourdough baking could become my distraction during this pandemic?
As long as I can find flour ... the store shelves are still scarce on baking supplies.


Do you have a covid-19 distraction these days?

Are you and your loved ones managing OK?



Till next time  - trying to stay positive! 




5 comments:

  1. Oh my that soup and that bread. What a great combination. My mouth is watering. Those loaves really are a work of art. My sister just started her sour dough goodness and she'll be baking loaves soon. We are managing okay but today Addy told her mommy she is tired of make believe adventures she wants to go on a real one. Also when Jamie asked her what she wanted for lunch she said El Ranchito, our favorite Mexican restaurant. That girl wants to leave the house!! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a great story about Addy wanting out! We are all quickly getting to that point.

      Delete
  2. That bread is amazing! So beautiful! Ramps are something new to me...guess I'll stick with my chives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new distraction! It all looks amazing! As for me, I've been quite un-motivated. Every project I want to undertake seems to require some shopping, so I move on. Thankfully we have had great weather, so it's been nice to spend time outside...gardening, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pass the honey! That bread looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...