Friday, April 27, 2012

Maple Chiffon Birthday Cake




Another milestone in the family - my husband's 62nd birthday is today!  I decided to make one of my favourite cakes for the occasion.  This recipe comes from my sister-in-law Charlene who is a fabulous cook.  Some of my best recipes come from her kitchen!  This cake is easy to make and always seems to  turn out - in spite of me.  The biggest problem for me is figuring out how to "hang" the cake after it comes out of the oven!

Maple Chiffon Cake


2 Cups Cake and Pastry Flour
1½ Cups White Sugar
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. salt
½ Cup Oil
6 Egg yolks
¾ Cup cold water
2 tsp. Maple Flavouring








6 Egg whites and ½ tsp. Cream of Tartar – beaten till stiff peaks form.  I did this with my KitchenAid - love that machine!

Beat ingredients and then fold in the beaten egg whites.
Pour into an ungreased  tube cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and hang upside down for 1 hour until completely cooled.  This is easier said than done!  I always forget to get something ready to invert it on so this time I was ready - a wine bottle!  Well guess what, the hole in the top of the tube cake pan was too small so I held it upside down and called for help!  Finally we figured out that it could be inverted onto a wine glass.  Not ideal since we had to walk lightly around the kitchen stove for the next hour as to not topple the cake.

Does anyone out there have a great tip or an invention on how to successfully hang a Chiffon Cake????
Do I need to go out and buy a new tube cake pan that has those little legs on it???  There must be a way.
Hmm - looks like a modern Ikea lamp!

When cake has completely cooled, run a knife around edge of cake and remove from pan.

Maple Icing:
¼ Cup Butter – softened
1 lb. Icing Sugar
1 Egg - beaten
¼ Cup milk or cream
1 tsp. Maple Flavouring
Garnish with toasted pecan pieces - optional



Till next time ........... happy birthday to all the April 27thers - you know who you are!!




6 comments:

  1. That sounds oh so good! Maple chiffon I have never tried...I will now.
    Smiling at your modern Ikea lamp:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a miniature orange caution cone at Staples that might do the trick. Happy birthday Jim, enjoy that awesome cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a cake for Sunday - this is going to be it...as I hit print!
    I finally bought an angel food pan with the little legs and I'm glad I did. It's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say I have ever tried a maple chiffon cake. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosella - Thanks for the recipe - it looks great! I just hang it upside down on an overturned cereal bowl! Nobody ever told me it had to be on something narrow - but it works great this way!!! :) Happy birthday Jim!!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your hubby!!! What a stunning celebratory cake! And congrats on your ingenuity :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...