Saturday, August 25, 2012

Gazpacho



The perfect cold soup to end
a very hot and busy late
August day!
The tomatoes are ripening
fast in the garden and
this is a great way to 
use them.









This recipe is loosely
based on the recipe 
in my Ina Garten cookbook.
Have you ever read any of the 
Barefoot Contessa cookbooks?
I was gifted one from a
wonderful travel mate who
introduced me to 
this wonderful series of cookbooks
written by this fine cook from the Hamptons!






GAZPACHO
This recipe makes  approx. 8 servings.  I made 1/2 recipe for myself and the farmer and we ate almost all of it - so much for 4 servings!  It was simply delicious and went well with the garlic bread made from left-over crusty bread.

6 ripe tomatoes - peeled and chopped
1 purple onion - chopped
1 cucumber - peeled and chopped (I used an English cucumber and did not peel or seed it)
1 sweet red bell pepper - seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery - chopped
1-2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp.  chopped fresh chives (I used basil)
1 clove garlic - minced
1/4 Cup Red wine vinegar
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 Tbsp.  freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp. sugar
Sea salt and pepper to taste
6 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 Cups tomato juice
Method:
Combine all ingredients in the blender.  Pulse chop to desired consistency.  Ina Garten insists to not over process - the soup should be nice and chunky, not pureed!  I think I over processed mine a wee too fine but it was still O.K. Place in a glass pitcher (do not use a metal container) and chill for at least 7 hours or overnight - the longer it sits - the better the flavours develop.








Thanks to Trese
for introducing me to
Ina Garten's cookbooks.
I hope to make many
more of her recipes!
Perhaps to relive
the memories of
that "once in a lifetime"
European tour in 2006!



5 comments:

  1. I love Ina! I have 4 of her books. I've never been disappointed with any of her recipes. She was at a local kitchen shop close to me doing a book signing a few years ago and I stood in line to get her to sign my book. She was very nice. I have a feeling the cookbook you have is the one I don't have. :0)
    Your gazpacho looks real refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's awesome that you met her and have her signature! Maybe someday she will have your famous signature in YOUR cookbook! You should send her a copy of the MGCC book - it's just as good if not better may I say!

      Delete
  2. I love gazpacho...but always seem to use my mom's recipe. You can't go wrong with Ina, though...I will definitely try her version. Hope you're enjoyed your weekend...it was a hot one here again :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second gazpacho recipe I've seen in my wanderings today...perhaps I'm to make some. I have never eaten it before and have all the ingredients. Yes, I think I'll mix some up and have it tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your white fence and black-eyed Susan's remind me of my yard. We must have similar interests. Good luck with your upcoming wedding. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...