Thursday, April 30, 2015

Pat's GermanTorte

We recently celebrated a milestone birthday at our house
with one of our favourite cakes.


The first time my sister-in-law, Pat, made this cake we were all in awe!
We sometimes beg her to bring it to special family gatherings.
  This cake is a combination of white cake and chocolate cake which is sliced into alternating layers and iced with the most delicious icing!
Just make sure you have lots of eggs and butter on hand before starting.

The recipe below is for a large slab cake.
I cut the ingredients in half and made a smaller round cake.
Hint - don't cut the filling/icing part in half - it's just too good!


White Cake:
6 eggs - separated
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
6 Tbsp. water
Pinch of Salt
1 Cup Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Beat egg whites till stiff - set aside
Beat egg yolks, sugar and water till fluffy and light
Sift flour, baking powder and salt and mix into the egg mixture
Add vanilla
Fold beaten egg whites into batter
Pour into a greased and parchment paper lined 9 X 13 cake pan

Chocolate Cake:
Same as above but with the addition of 1 Cup finely ground nuts and several scoops (4-5 Tbsp.) of cocoa powder or 1-2 oz. grated dark chocolate added to the flour (Pat always uses cocoa powder).

Bake both cakes at 325 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool




Split both cakes horizontally and spread filling/icing between all layers – alternating the white and chocolate cake layers.  Use remaining filling to ice the cake.

Filling/Icing:
6 Tbsp. Flour
2 Cups Milk
2 tsp. vanilla
Bring the above ingredients to a boil – stirring constantly till thickened.  Cool.
Cream together 2 Cups White Sugar
1 lb. unsalted butter – softened.
Add the butter and sugar mixture to the cooled pudding and beat till smooth.

Sprinkle with cocoa powder and chopped nuts (optional). Slice and enjoy! Cake leftovers should be refrigerated.




Till next time ......... now scoot and enjoy this last day of April 2015 - May here we come!


12 comments:

  1. That looks so good! The frosting is a lot like our local whoopie pie frosting. Say, you must be ready to head out on a moment's notice! A May baby for sure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading out to see them this weekend but the babe is due in early July. So excited!!!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty cake!! If it tastes as good as it looks, then it's delicious!
    Enjoy your visit with the mommy-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The frosting sounds incredible! Such a pretty cake, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've learned that not everyone's mouth waters when they see beautiful food... but mine does and it just did. I'd love a slice of that cake Rosella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovella is talking about me .. my mouth does not water . . . I thought that was just an expression until she told me her mouth literally waters! But that does not mean I don't think I would love a taste!!! =) I love the look of that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum!!! Just when I thought it was time I quit desserts for awhile...you post an irresistible cake! I must bookmark this. I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...you are singin' to me now Rosella! A big slice please:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to the Farmer :) What a magnificent cake! I know my family would go nuts for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little by little I'm getting around, Rosella. I've read some of your past posts and realise that you must be on the prairies now. What excitement! I'll be in Edmonton later this week - we'll both be temporary Prairie Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake truly wets my appetite right now. There's nothing like a rich butter creamed. It's been busy in my neck of the woods, hopefully I can get through now with no more weddings.

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...