Friday, October 31, 2014

Homemade Caramels

Here is a last minute
homemade candy recipe for halloween
(or anytime for that matter):
 
 
 

Caramels

This recipe was given to me by a neighbor, Helen MacAlpine, who made these every Halloween and delivered some for Becky while bringing her own children Trick or Treating at our house. Becky was very young and her mom and dad (I won’t mention any names) ate this special treat to save their daughter from too much sugar at such a young age. Sadly Becky figured it out a few years later and claimed them for her own J. Helen notes that this is her grandmother’s recipe. She wrapped these special treats in waxed paper.
I also remember my sister-in-law Gloria and niece Erin making this at Christmas – such a treat.
 
Prepare your pan by greasing or lining with parchment paper. Do this before you start making the candy.
 
1 Cup butter
2 ¼ Cups brown sugar
1 Cup corn syrup
1 – 15 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Vanilla
¼ tsp. salt
Melt butter, add sugar and salt. Stir in the corn syrup and mix well. Gradually add the condensed milk.
Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat till it begins to boil slowly. Let the mixture boil to the firm ball stage (245 F) – approx.. 15 minutes.  You can stop stirring it once it gets boiling but watch carefully.
Remove from heat and stir in a splash of vanilla. Pour candy into pan. Cool till set and cut into squares. Wrap with waxed paper or serve right out of the pan.
 
 
 
Till next time .......... have a happy Hallow's eve my friends.
 
 


 


9 comments:

  1. Well it won't be for Halloween but I plan to test out this recipe. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be still my heart! I love caramels. Maybe I shouldn't make these....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love caramels, but I've never mastered the candy thermometer part. My sister-in-law makes wonderful ones, so we just wait for her to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe, definitely a keeper. Thanks for the LOL moment about you and the Farmer eating Becky's treats. Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh!! I think I will have to come back in a month and make these for Christmas! I wonder if my meat thermometer would work? it probably does not go that high.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good! I have to make caramels again this year for Christmas...I must try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I love caramels. You've convinced me that I need to make a batch for the holidays! Perfect recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I"m not sure whether to thank you for this recipe or not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, so that's how you make caramels! I've never attempted anything with a candy thermometer!

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...