Monday, July 22, 2013

Honey and Lavender Ice-Cream



My first taste of Lavender Ice-Cream
was in Tofino, BC

I had to try making some
because I have so much Lavender,
because I love Ice-Cream,
because this is such an exotic flavour,
because - well, just because!!

I used a Martha Stewart Recipe,
slightly modified,
and it turned out quite good.

Here's the recipe if you would like to try making this ....






2 Cups whole milk
1/4 Cup dried Lavender - I used a handful of fresh flowers and "muddled" them a bit with my pestal before adding the milk.
1/3 Cup Honey















Bring this to a gentle boil, remove from heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes (I left it steeping for at least 30 minutes). Strain the mixture and discard the Lavender.









Now combine 5 egg yolks with
1/4 Cup of Sugar.  Beat on medium-high speed until very thick and pale yellow (3-5 minutes).  Meanwhile, return the strained milk to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.

Add half the hot milk to the egg yolk mixture - whisk till blended and pour this into the sauce pan with the remaining hot milk.  Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat till "custard" thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.



Immediately remove from heat.
Strain mixture (if desired) into a bowl and chill
 in an ice water bath or refrigerate for several hours.

Now get out your ice-cream maker
start the freezing (according to your manufacturer's instructions).

You can weed the front flower bed
or go about your daily chores
while the ice-cream maker churns


then sit a bit and enjoy
this treat!





Till next time ........... what's your favourite ice-cream flavour?


7 comments:

  1. I sample lavender ice cream every place I get a chance!
    I learned (while touring the Washington state Lavender Festival) that there are culinary and non-culinary lavender. The non-culinary tastes like Vick's vapor rub! Not poison, just not an appreciated taste.
    Look up culinary lavender to find out which varieties should be used in cooking then plan on acquiring one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a proponent of "just because" or "why not". Glad you tried it.
    My favorite is Jamocha Almond Fudge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to make our own home made ice cream when the kids were young.
    May favorite is hazelnut gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably not lavender...though I did enjoy my lavender sugar. I like ice cream with caramel and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tasted lavender, but the ice cream looks refreshing. Home made ice cream is a real treat on a hot summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing...I wish I had an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! If I had an ice-cream maker I might give it a try. My favorite ice-cream? Black raspberry cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...