Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pesto Sun-dried Tomato Cheese Torta

This cheese loaf appetizer
is a family favourite.
I first tasted this at my
nephew's wedding - made by his mom,
my sister-in-law Charlene!
She's a great cook
and always comes up with the best recipes!

This is a keeper ....



Cheese Mixture:
250 g feta cheese crumbled
1/2 lb butter cut into pieces (I use ¼ lb. butter and 150 g soft unripened goat cheese instead)
250 g cream cheese - softened
2 cloves garlic
few drops of hot sauce
Combine in food processor or whip with electric mixer until creamy.


Layer Ingredients:
1/2 Cup pine nuts roasted
2/3 Cup minced sun-dried tomatoes (pat oil off if using oil packed)
1 Cup Basil Pesto - or less (I just used enough to "dollop" it onto the layers).

To assemble, line 4-5 Cup bowl or loaf pan with plastic wrap (mold it tight to the container leaving lots hanging over the edge), sprinkle with the pine nuts first then spread on some pesto, then ½ the sun-dried tomatoes. Cover with half the cheese mixture, remaining pesto and tomatoes then remaining cheese mixture. Fold over plastic wrap and press down gently to compact layers, refrigerate to chill and set. When ready to serve, invert onto platter, remove plastic wrap and serve with sliced baguette or crackers.


 Warning - this makes a very large
appetizer so sometimes I cut the recipe
in half and make
smaller individual ones
molded in custard cups.

Warning #2 - if your food processor
is 40+ years old and it begins to smoke
while mixing this - you may need a new one.
Just saying ....




Happy Thanksgiving to all 
those celebrating this week!
May we all pause to give thanks
wherever we may be,
before the Christmas season hustle and bustle begins!



Till next time ..... are you dreading the Christmas frenzie or do you look forward to the hustle and bustle?






9 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. I might just have to take that to our Thanksgiving gathering this Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...sorry about the food processor. This sounds so tasty! Thank you for the recipe and the Thanksgiving wishes. I am looking forward to Christmas and I do enjoy the hustle and bustle in small doses. Christmas would not seem the same without some of it, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried a dip with pine nuts before, but it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dip looks delicious and I know I will be trying that at one of our events. I love the hustle and bustle...but I am working on 'balance' this year....trying to avoid any shopping line-ups. I prefer to shop on line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy. It sounds perfect for the holidays too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love that kind of appie tray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good Rosella! I'm smiling about the smokin' food processor:) I have mixed feelings about the hustle and bustle..might be my age:) I do not really dread it though, always look forward to family time together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH this looks amazing!!!! I have to try it....just alter the pine nuts with something else....oh that nut allergy gets in the way at times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made something similar years ago! SO good. I'm pinning this to try for my book club...they will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...