Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Rocks and Loaves

On the weekend our curling club held it's annual
Valentine Bonspiel.
The roads were horrid but that didn't stop us ...


It was a fun day and the food, as always, was delicious and
beautifully presented by some of the club member's spouses and families.

This is a day we all look forward to each winter.



Today the weather has turned to icy rain - ugh!

So what's a gal to do on a rainy, icy February day?
Perfect timing to bake some bread ... right!?

Two loaves of our forever favourite "Miriam Bread"
(I looked back in my blog recipes and couldn't believe
that I had never posted this delicious bread)

My cousin Miriam makes this bread recipe all the time
and generously shares it with our church family and friends
at potlucks, family reunions, and such.
She even bakes many, many loaves to distribute to her neighbours
and friends on Hallowe'en along with the children's treats!
Can I say, she is almost famous for this yummy bread.









And why not make a savoury kringle bread as well!
You will see a past post on this bread if you click the above link.

This time I changed up the filling a tad (since I didn't have any fresh herbs on hand to use this time).

2 Tbsp. Ground Flax Seed
1 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
1 large garlic clove - minced
1 Tbsp. chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
Before baking I sprinkled the dough with some coarse salt and sesame seeds.



Some baking to warm the hearth and home.



Now I might bake a carrot cake - just because I've been craving it.

Till next time ... stay safe where you are - so many storms passing through these past few days!


8 comments:

  1. Yes, we're in a stormy stretch. I'm exhausted from the clean-up. Oh the smell in your home must be heavenly...nothing like the aroma of baking bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it to your event and home again safely. Your baking looks so so good. I can imagine the wonderful aromas coming out of your kitchen. The savory loaf is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am agreeing with Ellen . . . your kringle bread is a work of art! Beautiful, and I am certain it tastes as good as it looks. You have made a winter day something to be relished!

    Your bonspiel looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather is turning back to winter today---a perfect day to bake bread. Both your loaves look fabulous, Rosella!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just remembered I came to the computer for a recipe and got side tracked. Your savory twisted bread looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we have all had a good dose of winter this year. After many snow storms, we are also ecpecting freezing rain over here.

    Your savory twisted loaf looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had a mild, easy winter so far, and only got our first significant snow yesterday (8 inches, not too bad)! I'm not a bread baker (yeast scares me!), but your scrumptious looking breads make me want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of a better way to celebrate a snow day than with baking! We haven't had a lot of snow - we don't normally get any at all, but this year we had two snowy days. I baked!

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...