Saturday, December 30, 2017

Sloppy Joes and Checkers



The New Year is just around the corner - 2018!

It's been almost 6 years since I began blabbing blogging and this is my 400th post.
The coming year may see a bit of a slow down since I feel like I've 
said almost everything there is to say ...

This New Year's Eve we've invited our church group of friends for the annual
get together and the theme is plaids and denim with a retro checker's tournament.

It reminded me of when we were teens and the choice party food was sloppy joes,
I made a triple batch to serve along with all the other "pot-luck" food to share.

I don't really think there is a recipe for this but this is how I made it:
1 lb. of hamburger, browned with a chopped onion
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Thyme - just a sprinkle or two
1 can Chicken Gumbo soup - undiluted
1/2 can of water
1/4 Cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or so till thickened to liking.
Ladle onto warmed hamburger buns.
That's it!

I'll try to catch some pictures of the event.
Hopefully the weather co-operates and everyone can arrive safely.
We are in a stormy deep freeze these last days of 2017.



Till next time ...... Happy New Year, stay safe where you are, and celebrate the coming year!




8 comments:

  1. It may be true that you need a wee break, but, and this is the wonderful part, no one ever runs out of things to say and share. I have always enjoyed Sloppy Joes and this is a fun, unique recipe. Have a lovely time of fellowship on New Year’s Eve. (I’m praying that we all get out of this horrid deep freeze we are in.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun party. It's been ages since we've had Sloppy Joes. I like the sound of your recipe! Enjoy your time and stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea to serve retro party food! Sloppy Joes were all the rage when I was growing up, but you don't hear about them all that much anymore. Bet Bill would enjoy these for a change of pace. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Rosella!!! Thanks for being such a dear blogger friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had almost forgotten how good sloppy joes are. Thanks for the reminder Rosella. They will be on the menu soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here. Sloppy Joes were the "in" party food when I was in h.s. (about a century ago!). That plus potato chips and drinks made for a great evening! P.S. I still like them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps I am "forever young" (but not really!) because I still enjoy sloppy joes! My great-aunt made them and I have her recipe and those things are delicious!

    Your New Year's Eve party sounds like lots of fun. Hope the storm and cold did not affect your plans!

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    P.S. I agree with Vee. You never really run out of things to say! Blog what you feel! I'll read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 6 years of blogging! I'm about to mark 5 years, and can't believe it! The sloppies look delish - hope you had a wonderful New Year's Eve. Stay warm! It's bitter cold here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sloppy Joe's were always a big hit over here as well. We still like them!

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...