Monday, October 30, 2023

October World

"I'm so glad I live in a world where 
there are Octobers" by Anne with an E!




Trying to focus on the good things to be thankful for this October,
in spite of what is happening in our October world!!

Like fun dips in the spa with these sweet humans ...



Airing the freshly washed quilt to make room for cozy duvets and comforters ...



A visit to a local buggy making shop on a very interesting
"Up the Nith River" Amish history bus tour led by the amazing
Fred Lichti...




Helping at our church's annual church beef bbq supper ...

2nd year as "drive thru take out". Worked so well!


Inspired by my cousin Fran to make Mom's old fashioned
concord grape pie - seasonal for sure
and so delicious!



Here's the recipe:

3 Cups Concord Grapes – washed, stemmed and drained

1 Cup Sugar

3 Tbsp. Flour

1 Tbsp. butter - melted

1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice

Pastry for 2 pie crusts (one for the lid - or just use crumbs for topping)

Remove skins and simmer pulp for 5 minutes.  Do not add any water to pulp.  While hot, press pulp through a sieve to remove the seeds.  Combine strained pulp with the skins.  Combine sugar and flour and add to grapes.  Blend in the lemon juice and melted butter.  Pour into pastry lined pie plate.  Cover with top crust or crumbs.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Makes 1 - 9” pie.

To make crumbs, rub together 3/4 Cup Flour, ½ Cup Sugar and ¼ cup melted Butter.



Went on a quick little bike ride on the GtoG trail
with my friend Jan to see a newly installed bench ...






 And off we went to a great ABBA revisited concert with the Leis gals ...




Some sour dough baking whilst figuring out how to change a leaky
kitchen sink sprayer hose! Thanks Google for your help.






An awesome day spent with my little love while his sis played hockey
in her first season opener tournament...
Trains, Mexican Train games, stories, McDonalds lunch, and spooky skeletons.



Neighbourhood "under the sea skeletons" - eek!


Oh, and one more thing.
My infamous butter lamb got a wee mention in Marlene Epp's
recently launched book - "Eating Like a Mennonite"!
"From zwieback to tamales and from sauerkraut to spring rolls ..."
Congratulations Marlene!





And that, dear readers, was the rest of my October!


Till next time .... November be gentle!





13 comments:

  1. Love that your butter lamb has it's claim to fame! What a sweet bench in honor of your beloved. What proofing bowls for sourdough would you recommend? Our dil is baking loaves and I want to gift her some specialty equipment. Looks like you enjoyed a full October of blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellen - I've sent you an email about the sour dough bannetons I use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although October never played out so well on the world stage this year, it looks like you made the most of it over there! Love the memorial bench! How special to have your butter lamb featured in a new book. Abba concert, sourdough perfection and hanging out with grands…it looks like you had a full and lovely October!
    Judy @ My Front Porch

    (For some reason I am ‘anonymous’ when I comment on my phone…so I thought I should identify myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many special things here, but what I love most is the bench with that beautiful inscription! Ah, dear Rosella! "We will never be the same, not because you died, but because you lived!" ... ❤ your sister time, that amazing looking bread that you have mastered so well! I have never hear of grape pie and would love to taste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Anneliese! Happy November to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so inspiring Rosella! Love the tribute to Jim on the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which section of the G2G has Jim's bench? I'll have to watch out for it next time I bike the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the section between Millbank and Newton. Hope you can get there sometime. Stay well dear friend and happy Christmas to you.

      Delete
  8. Hi would you have the name of the pattern of your beautiful quilt and the name of the fabric.. sooo beautiful and I am looking for those colors. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous - thank you for your inquiry (I hope you come back to see my answer). This pattern is called "Antique Lace" by Missouri Star Quilts. It uses a Jelly Roll (2 1/2 inch strips) and some background fabric. It was a fun quilt to make. Here is the link to the tutorial on how to make it:
      https://www.missouriquiltco.com/pages/antique-lace-quilt-tutorial

      Delete
  9. Rosella, the bench is a lovely tribute to your beloved and brought tears to my eyes. It's been many years since I last visited Stratford, but if I ever make it there again I want to check out the G2G Rail Trail.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...