Menno Media put out the invitation for testing some of
the recipes and I was offered that privilege.
My old tattered and splattered original copy practically
falls open on page #158 for my favourite Meat-Potato Quiche.
The recipe that was chosen for me was the
Oatmeal Bread
Here is the recipe as copied from the Menno Media website:
Oatmeal Bread
Yields 2 loaves
"Widely cited as one of the favorite More-with-Less
recipes, this oatmeal bread is wonderful for sandwiches"
Oatmeal Bread
Combine in a large bowl:
1 c. quick oats
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T salt
2 T butter
Pour over the above mixture:
2 c. boiling water
Stir in to combine.
Dissolve:
1 pkg dry yeast (or 1 T) in
1/2 c. warm water
When batter is cooled to lukewarm, add yeast.
Stir in:
5 c. white flour
Once the flour is mixed knead the bread for 5-10 minutes. (I used my stand mixer for 5 minutes or so. I think that it could have used longer so I will try that next time). Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled (I think this took an hour or so). Punch down and let rise again (Once again I think it took an hour or a bit more). Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased 9x5x3 pans. Bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes. Cool and brush with butter. Eat this bread with your friends and family, good bread is meant for sharing.
I really enjoyed baking this bread - a huge change from
my typical sour dough and white bread recipes.
This bread is especially good as a breakfast bread - toasted with honey is amazing.
Mixing the batter smelled and tasted like comforting warm oatmeal porridge.
I used my Mixer to stir in the flour before kneading.
For the first batch I used 1/4 Cup of Rye Flour.
It turned out fine but I think the whole wheat loaves seemed
a bit lighter, tasting just as good.
Do you use the More-with-Less Cookbook? I can't wait to receive my "50th Anniversary" edition.
Till next time ... enjoying these last gasp of summer days.
No comments:
Post a Comment