Saturday, February 18, 2012

Meat and Potato Quiche


This potato crusted quiche is savoury and delicious.  I've made it many times and it's a recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks - "More-with-Less Cookbook" by Doris Janzen Longacre.  This is one of my first cookbooks.  It was published in 1976 and is one of the best reference cookbooks I have.  It contains many handy charts, equivalents and substitution suggestions,  and metric conversion tables, has simple, thrifty and hearty recipes!  My book is worn and tattered from shoving it in and out of my library.  A much loved and used cookbook!

Quiche is an Alsace Lorraine area traditional dish.  My Amish ancestors came directly from that area to Canada in the mid 1800s.  I enjoy all forms of quiche but this is the one I make most often.  My cookbook practically automatically falls open on page 158!

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and prepare the potato crust:
3 Cups coarsely shredded raw potato
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Press evenly into 9" pie pan and shape into a pie crust shape.  Bake for 15 minutes until just beginning to brown.  Remove from oven.

While the crust is baking, assemble the filling ingredients to be layered onto slightly baked potato crust:

1 Cup grated Swiss or Cheddar Cheese - I usually use Cheddar
3/4 Cup cooked diced chicken, ham, or browned sausage - ham is my favourite
1/4 Cup chopped onion
I also like to add 1/4 Cup chopped Red Pepper



This is how my mom taught me to chop an onion. With a serrated knife cut criss-crosses about half way into a peeled onion - then turn it sideways and slice to get perfectly finely chopped onion!







Now layer the cheese, meat, chopped onion and red pepper into the quiche crust.

In a bowl, beat together:
2 Eggs
1 Cup Evaporated or rich milk - I use Half and Half cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Pour the egg mixture over the layers and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley.

                                                                                

Pop the quiche back into the hot oven and bake for
30 minutes or until lightly browned and knife inserted 
1" from edge comes out clean.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes
before cutting into wedges.


Serve this with a crisp lettuce salad or fruit salad.  


This is for supper tonight when Lion J comes home from the Milverton Snow Fest - and yes, we have fresh fallen snow today just in time for the event!!!!

Till next time ....... have a wonderful FAMILY DAY WEEKEND!!!!

4 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! We like all forms of quiche - and for three years lived within a few minutes drive of the Alsace and all things delicious! I like this twist on an old favourite and will have to give it a try.
    No snow here - just high wind and driving rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting that you lived in that area - it's a place we would really like to visit someday! Still snow on the ground here - even stormy at times! Winter has finally arrived?

      Delete
  2. HMMMM! This is a quiche that maybe even Lorne would eat!! (He's not usually a fan) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try Lisa - hope all is well with you!

      Delete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...