Monday, February 6, 2012

Remembering Mom's Creamed Cabbage

When we were on vacation recently we were served a shrimp dish with delicious cooked cabbage as a side.  This cabbage dish had onions and pineapple in it and was so delicious.  It reminded me of my mothers cabbage recipe.  I tried to replicate the recipe with pineapple, a splash of red wine vinegar, and shallots to go with my fried chicken the other evening - it was good but still needs a bit of tweeking.  I'll keep working on that.                                                                                                                                                          

Mom's Creamed Cabbage...

This is how she wrote it on the back of a July 1964 Calendar page:

“put a little lard in kettle – little onion and a little water.  Put in cabbage.  Cook about 20-30 minutes.  Sprinkle 1 spoon flour on and some sugar, a little cream and about 1 small Tbsp. vinegar.”
Love how she wrote out her recipes - just the way she talked :)!

How do you like your cabbage cooked?

2 comments:

  1. That is a keeper ... how she wrote it out. It sounds like how I wrote out my recipes as a young bride. Isn't it neat when you cn imagine the person saying the words as you read them? That is what makes it original and precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recipes like that from my mum too.
    I like my cabbage cooked with brown sugar for regular cabbage, and with red currant jelly for red cabbage.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...