Monday, November 26, 2012

Old-time Beef Stew



Time for a nourishing pot of stew.
It's cold outside and this makes me
so hungry for comfort food!







I always go back to my old recipe.
It's from a 1971 edition of Better Homes and Gardens
book called "So-Good Meals"
and falls under the title of "Meals Men Like"!!!
Can you imagine using that language today?
It goes further to say "Fix any of these delicious meals
for your man and you'll be the Best Cook he knows"
Hmmmm.......that is so funny cheesey.

The Menu listed is:
Old-time Beef Stew
Crisp Cabbage Slaw
Bread and Butter
Apple Betty Pie
Coffee, Cream and Sugar




Well - I think I'll stick to the Old-Time Beef Stew
No matter what - it really is my favourite stew recipe.
I think it's because of the seasoning that makes it unique
and it always is good....and the farmer likes it too!
I might add a broccoli salad to this for
supper tonight.
Hmmm the Apple Betty Pie sounds good too.
Maybe this isn't so old fashioned after-all???

What are you making tonight?

Old-Time Beef Stew

2 Tbsp. fat - I used Grape Seed oil
2 lbs. beef stew cut into cubes
1 medium onion - sliced
1 clove garlic - I used three
2 Cups Boiling water
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 or 2 Bay leaves
Dash of all spice or cloves
Brown the meat chunks in a dutch oven.  It's the browning that gives the rich colour
and flavour!  Add the seasoning, onions and garlic.  Stir and in the boiling water and 
simmer for about 1 1/2 hours - stirring on occasion.
Prepare the vegetables in the meantime:
6 carrots - sliced
6 potatoes - diced
I like to add 1-2 cups of corn as well
1 lb. small white onions - I didn't add these
Once the meat is tender and has simmered for some time, add in the vegetables.  Simmer another 30 minutes till vegetables are tender.
If desired, thicken the liquid for gravy by pushing aside the meat and vegetables and stirring in 1/4 Cup cold water mixed with 2 Tbsp. flour.


Till next time ............ happy Monday to you.



1 comment:

  1. That is funny and oh so not politically correct these days. That stew looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse clips

  Did you experience today's eclipse? Truly a once in a life-time experience. My day began with a gathering for coffee with my fellow re...