Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pot 'o Gold


Yukon Gold spuds it tis!!




St. Patty's Day is just a few days away,
thus a "crock" of golden leek and potato soup!




We love this soup.
It's easy to make - no real recipe but
this is how I make it.....




Leek and Potato Soup

2-3 leeks - trimmed and cleaned thoroughly.  Leeks are grown in sandy soil and need to be washed well. Just use the white and pale green parts. Chop them quite fine.
6 or soYukon Gold potatoes - chopped
2 carrots - chopped
1/2 sweet onion - chopped
2 stalks carrots - chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. thyme
4 Cups chicken stock
3 Tbsp. butter
1 Cup cubed cooked ham (optional)
Parsley for garnish

Melt butter in a large pot. Add the leeks, onions, carrots, and celery. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and sweat the veggies till softened. Pour in the chicken broth and add the chopped potatoes. Simmer till the potatoes and vegetables are soft and tender. Taste test for seasoning. Put some of the soup into the blender or use a hand blender to blend the soup slightly - leaving some chunks of potatoes and vegetables. Add in the cubed ham if using. Garnish with parsley and enjoy with some fresh baked bread or biscuits!

Now I should head off to bake me some
to go with that soup!


Top 'o the Mornin' to ya!
Have a fabulous St. Patrick's Day Weekend


Pure Gold Memories of Ireland 2011
that have been transformed with my Waterlogue app!





Till next time - eat something green and/or Irish this weekend if you can ....



6 comments:

  1. Your soup looks delicious! Your photos need to be framed, or made into note cards. They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note Cards! Definitely note cards! = D

    That soup looks so pretty that it has to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is a soup that I would really enjoy. It looks delicious. Love the watercolored views from your Ireland trip. Top o' the mornin to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks delicious -- I will definitely make it soon !
    I smiled when I read about your 'favourite day' --- It was a description of my favourite day as well !
    And we have another thing in common .. an only child , a daughter. My 'wee' family now includes two teen granddaughters that fill my heart with love and joy .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to try this! I'm going to pin it for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL ! I just finished dinner, but reading your delicious recipes is making me hungry again. I am going to have to try them all very soon. Thanks for more great recipes with food I usually have in my pantry:)
    Hugs, Marg

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...