Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A "CHILI" January Day!

Chili Con Carne for a cold day in January!  I made a big batch yesterday and it's so handy (why don't I do this more often?).

I use a recipe that was on the label of a can of Red Kidney Beans back in the 1970's - that's when I was first married and learning how to cook!  I still use this same basic recipe now, with a few additions.  I didn't have red kidney beans on hand so I used a can of black beans.  Need to stock up on those beans!  I also added some crushed garlic.





Brown in 2 Tbsp. fat:
1 Cup chopped onion
1/4 Cup chopped green pepper
1 lb. ground lean beef
Add:
1 Can Red Kidney Beans
1 3/4 Cups stewed diced tomatoes
1 to 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. vinegar
Simmer for one hour stirring frequently
I always add a can of mushrooms - drained, a can of corn niblets, a can of chick peas or white kidney beans, and sometimes a can of pork and beans.  We like this served with a garnish of fresh chopped peppers and small chunks of cheese!

It's hard to believe that just a few days ago we were
enjoying the warm sights, sounds, smells,
and tastes of Mexico!









Warm thoughts to you till next time.............

Rosella

2 comments:

  1. great pictures!!! very colourful and happy ... and a Marguerita with every meal?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Chilli looks good about right now, bright and colorful.
    It's good to keep those memories over the dark winter months.
    I love the colors of that hotel.

    ReplyDelete

Leaping into February!

  Just turned the calendar page for February and LOVE the caption for this LOVE month on the doorstep. ...  and, there were tulips at the gr...